- 3/20/17 Trail Closure Eagle Creek Trail is closed past Punchbowl Falls due to slides.
- 3/7/17 Eclipse Preparation A new web site is available which is quite good for your preparation for viewing the August solar eclipse that is coming to Oregon. Click on this post to go to the link.
- 2/9/17 Trailhead Closure The Columbia River Gorge trailheads for Aldrige Butte and Table Mountain in Washington State have been closed due to a change in ownership of the land. Access to those trailhead should now be done via the PCT and Tamanous Trail from a trailhead near the Bonneville Dam
- 1/27/17 Senior Pass The lifetime national parks pass for seniors is scheduled to get a substantial price increase. Currently the price is $10 for those 62 and older, but the cost will jump to $80 within the next twenty months.
- 1/21/17 New Trails A new trailhead will be built for Mirror Lake and will start at Ski Bowl. The re-route is planned for 2017-2018. The build will take two years. There will be a new a new bridge at Tish Creek.
- 1/16/17 June Lake Trail If you are trying to get to June Lake in Washington for a snow shoe, you might appreciate knowing that the road is closed at the junction of FR81 and FR830.
- 1/4/17 Eagle Creek Trail A major landslide has happened along the trail near the Metlako Falls Viewpoint. The Eagle Creek Trail itself has not been impacted and is currently still open, however the size and extent of the landslide is most impressive. There are photos available.
- 12/31/16 Tamanawas Falls Trail A rock fall has happened along the trail near the Tamanawas Falls. The trail has be offically closed, but with the heavy snow, I am told that the trail is still passible through deep snow.
- 12/16/16 Mt Rainier cell coverage Mount Rainier National Park considers installing cell towers in Paradise visitors center. This is your chance to make your opinion heard in the comment period.
- 11/24/16 Tree Planting Team up with Friends of Trees to plant native trees and shrubs at Veteranís Creek (9795 SE Mt Scott Blvd) in the salmon-bearing Johnson Creek Watershed. Breakfast snacks, hot chocolate/coffee, gloves, and tools provided. All you need to bring is yourself, dressed for the weather, with sturdy, closed-toe shoes. Sign-up here. Questions? Contact Lea Wilson, email@example.com
- 11/20/16 2017 Solar Eclipse Oregon State Parks have published a web page to show the status of the campgrounds within the path of the August 2017 solar eclipse. state park campers can make reservations for campsites, yurts, and cabins to enjoy the August 21, 2017 total solar eclipse.
- 11/17/16 Larch Mountain Road Closure Multnomah County Transportation will close the upper section of Larch Mountain Road in the Columbia Gorge on Wednesday, November 23 for the winter season. The closure will be in place by 3 pm. Every autumn the county closes upper Larch Mountain Road by installing a snow gate near mile post 10. The closure protects the traveling public from adverse weather conditions and reduces maintenance costs associated with snow removal. The gate is opened each spring.
- 10/23/16 Aspen Trees As of Saturday 8/21/16 photographer Darryl Lloyd reports that the Aspen Trees are
at their prime in the Mount Adams area.
- 10/03/16 Elliot Glacier The ropes have been removed on both sides of the Elliot Glacier on Mount Hood for the Timberline Trail. Please be prepared for this when crossing the Elliot Glacier.
- 09/30/16 Westside Road Info In Mount Rainier National Park there is active work being done on the Westside Road of the park. A new metal bridge has been installed and the road has been smoothed and graded. Hopes are that this road will be open for driving, but for now, it is in great shape for riding a bicycle to one of the many trailheads along the road.
- 08/29/16 Indian Heaven Road Info Reports are that National Forest Road 6035 has a washout which is located 0.8 miles beyond the junction with the Forlorn Lake entrance. One needs a high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle to safely navigate the washout.
- 08/08/16 Lillie Basin trailhead Reports are that the road to the Lillie Basin Trailhead, FR48, in the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington State, has been repaired and is now accessible in a regular car.
- 08/05/16 Temporary Bridge Closure The Bridge of the Gods will be closed for one hour this Sunday, August 7, 2016 from 7:45am to 8:45am. These times indicate a full bridge closures to all vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians for an approved paid event, the Annual Bridge of the Gods Run.
- 07/24/16 Paradise at Mount Rainier As of this writing, the flowers are not quite out yet at Mount Rainier National Park in the Paradise area. Road construction on road, so check for the delays.
- 07/11/16 Bridge of the Gods As of July 1, 2016, the cost to cross the bridge has increased to two dollars.
- 07/05/16 Bear Grass. Bear Grass is blooming in Mount Hood's Paradise Park. Send me your sighting and I will post them.
- 06/23/16 Road Open. Oregon's Old McKenzie Highway (OR242) is open for the season. They now offer a YouTube to go along with the road opening.
- 6/20/16 Jefferson Park Bear Grass is starting to bloom along the trail to Jefferson Park. The park itself is mostly snow covered, and the lakes are mostly frozen. All downed trees have been cleared on the trail up to the park. Indian Paint Brush is in full bloom along the trail.
- 5/30/16 Lost Lake If you are chomping at the bit to see some Bear Grass in bloom, then head up to Lost Lake
in the Mt. Hood National Forest. You will not be disappointed.
- 5/24/16 Larch Mountain Road Starting Thursday afternoon, 5/26/16, Multnomah County will reopen the upper section of Larch Mountain Road by 4:30 PM. Larch Mountain Road is the highest road in Multnomah Countyís jurisdiction. Each winter, the county closes public access to recreation areas off upper Larch Mountain Road by installing a snow gate near milepost 10. Reopening the gate provides vehicle access all the way to the view parking lot at milepost 14.5 and the walking trail to Sherrard Point.
- 05/21/16 Gorge Transit Link. Starting Friday morning, 5/27/16, the Columbia Gorge Express bus service begins round-trip service linking the Gateway Transit Center with Rooster Rock State Park and Multnomah Falls.
- 05/13/16 Beacon Rock Opens! Starting Saturday morning, 5/14/16, the trail to the summit of Beacon Rock will be re-opened.
- 05/09/16 Road Closure. Forest Road 23 in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest will be closed for the remainder of 2016. Please read entire article linked here.
- 05/03/16 Beacon Rock. Still closed for public access. Read details at this link.
- 04/17/16 Bear Sighting. Mazama hikers reported seeing three brown bears (2 large, 1 smaller) on the PCT aprox MP2161 near 3-corner rock on Sunday.
- 04/14/16 Munra Point. As of Tuesday 4/13 there are lots of Glacier Lilies, pink Phlox, Indian Paintbrush, and the poison oak isn't to bad yet. Balsamroot flowers are in full bloom in hikes near The Dalles.
- 03/31/16 Cougar Sighting in the Gorge. On Wednesday, March 30th, around noon, two hikers were headed out to the Angel's Rest viewpoint on trail # 400/415. They were approximately 1 mile past the trail junction with the Wahkeena Trail # 400/420 on an uphill section of the trail when we spotted the cougar on the trail that msut have weighed between 50 and 100 pounds.
- 03/29/16 Elk King Trail Maintenance. Help maintain our adopted trail in the Coast Range. Ten to fifteen volunteers needed to clear drains, trim brush, and repair tread work.
- 03/28/16 WET Bus. West End Transit (WET) bus seasonal transit service will begin April sixtenth. The bus provides transportation the the Dog Mountain trailhead and others.
- 03/14/16 Trail Maintenance. PCT Sawyer Certification Class: April 2-3. Estacada USFS office. Apply online. Free.
- 03/14/16 Eagle Creek Trail. The Tish Creek Bridge is probably going to be replaced this coming fall (by helicopter). That is the rumor, as the creek can really get flowing fast, and there is a 10' waterfall just under the old twisted bridge. That makes conditions dangerous at high water flow. As a note, last year approximately 40,000 hikers filled out wilderness permits, but we know most people don't hike that far, so the numbers to Punchbowl Falls and High Bridge could be much higher.
- 03/13/16 Nick Eaton Trail. Nick Eaton Trail was severely thrashed by tree fall just up from the trailhead. A work party cleared much of it last week, but there is more to go. Some of the trees appear to be old growth.
- 03/12/16 Best Gorge Hikes. Statesman Journal publishes what it says are the 13 best Columbia River Gorge Hikes.
- 03/10/16 Eagle Creek Trail. Statesman Journal reports that trail will be closed for over a year. Please see 2/29/16 news story below.
- 03/04/16 Owyhee River. Free public presentation and film about hiking this area on Wednesday 3/23 in Portland at Base Camp Brewery.
- 03/02/16 Starvation Creek Trailhead. ODOT has started work on the State Trail Reconnection Project along the abandoned section of the Historic Columbia River Highway from Lindsay Creek to Starvation Creek. The following trails are closed Mondays - Fridays until August 31 of this year: Mt. Defiance #413, Starvation Creek #414 and Starvation Cutoff #414B.
- 03/02/16 Columbia Hills State Park. Crawford Oaks trailhead off of Hwy 14 is closed due to a washout. Closure is expected to last another 2-3 weeks.
- 03/02/16 Upper McCord Creek Falls. The trail leading up to Upper McCord Creek Falls is currently closed due to a land slide. Nesmith Point trail and Elowah Falls trail remain open at this time.
- 03/01/16 Beacon Rock Trail. The Beacon Rock trail to the summit is still closed due to storm damage last fall. No projected re-open date at this time.
- 02/29/16 Class Chainsaw and crosscut saw safety training class is being offered as part of the Saw Training and Certification for trail maintenance volunteers. It is happening Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at
REI Clackamas Community Room.
- 02/29/16 Eagle Creek Trail. The bridge at milepost 2.0 (Tish Creek), just past Punchbowl Falls on the Eagle Creek trail, is out of commission. Please do not attempt to cross the creek even though the trail is open. It is very risky.
- 02/28/16 Hamilton Mountain. There is a tree down on the small trail that leads up to the viewing platform at pool of the winds. It has damaged the fence which is there. That area is caution taped off, it looks passable but the ground looks loose. Looks like it was a combination of the tree falling and rock fall. Other than the view point it does not impact the Hamilton Mt hike. There is still snow on the top of the mountain.
- 02/25/16 Ten best As Spring approaches, here is a Portland Monthly article on the Eight Best Wild Flower Hikers.
- 02/23/16 Movie Free public viewing of documentary "Behind the Emerald Curtain" on Wednesday 02/24 at 7PM. The film examines logging practices in Oregon.
- 02/19/16 Fresh snow fall in the cascades. Lower elevation snow at Mt Bachelor is perfact for cross-country skiing and snow shoeing.
- 02/07/16 Flowers Grass Widows in bloom at Catherine Creek
- Jan 2016 Mt. Rainier All vehicles traveling to Paradise Inn @ Mt Rainier must have chains in vehicle even though the vehicle is four wheel drive with studded tires.
- Fall 2015 Romona Falls. Ramona Falls Bridge not to be replaced
Back to top...
All for the Love of Hiking!